Feb 28, 2009

thrifty finds,

I love to go to thrift stores! Didn't care too much for it as a child (old stuff that smelled funny) but I really do enjoy hunting for new/old treasures. I love finding things that I imagine one of my great-grandmothers would have owned or made. Once, while at my favorite second-hand store I found a very worn sewing kit, and inside were projects that were only half finished. Of course, I had to give the kit a home, and I finished one of the embroidered pillow cases. (I also cut it all up and then used it on a scrapbook page, but that's another story.)

I was so-so excited to find a large bag of vintage seam binding and lace during a recent treasure hunting expedition. After getting home and opening, or ripping the bag apart like a child on Christmas Day (either one works), I found 60 packages of seam binding and lace in the most perfect shades of pinks, greens, and yellows. I've tried to explain to my husband how truly monumental of a find this was, but he doesn't seem that awe-struck by it. and so, I dedicate a whole blog post to old sewing things that will be used on new scrappy projects.

7 comments:

Nia said...

Ooooooh- lucky you! That lace looks lovely.

Monika said...

wow you are lucky! awesome find. why can't I ever find anything so great!!!

Anonymous said...

What a great find! Thrift stores are the best.

Jennifer said...

Husbands just don't get it. I paid $2 for a grab bag at a garage sale and it had a plastic divider box that had 32 things of DMC floss! Each was wound on a tab and the numbered color code was printed in the best penmanship I have ever seen. It was a garage sale orgasm. I'm not even kidding!

Unknown said...

Lucky you! Pretty picture, too! :)

metrochic said...

what a seriously amazing find! gorgeous!

Pretty Arty said...

wow how lucky you were to find these colored lace !!!