Nov 16, 2009

Apple Butter, recipe



Now that apples are in season, here is the best Apple Butter recipe, and because it's my mom's! I love having a pot of this cooking on the stove in Fall. I add apple butter to almost everything, it's especially wonderful on toast, pancakes or waffles and pumpkin bread. Hope you enjoy the recipe!!



Apple Butter

2 lbs. Rome Beauty
2 lbs. Golden Delicious
2 lbs. Newton or Granny Smith
1/2 c. apple juice or cider
1-3/4 c. sugar
1 t. lemon juice
1-1/2 t. cinnamon
1/2 t. allspice
a pinch of ground cloves



Directions:
Wash, peel, core & slice apples.
Combine with apple juice & bring to boil on medium.
Reduce heat & cover.
Stir occasionally until apples are tender, 20-30 minutes.
Puree in blender or food processor until smooth. (I used an immersion blender)
Return to heat; add sugar, lemon juice, & spices.
Bring to boil.
Turn down to simmer and partially cover until thick, stirring occasionally.
Can in jars or freeze.



Serve on muffins, toast or our favorite waffles! Enjoy! 

4 comments:

Unknown said...

oh man i can almost smell it! I am gonna have to try it. Thanks for that!

Meghann Andrew said...

Thank you so much for this! I can't wait to try it this weekend! I heart apple butter, and haven't had it since moving away from the U.S.

Danielle said...

YUMMY!!!! I am so anxious to try this recipe :) It seems so easy :D

Anonymous said...

I have never eaten apple butter before, but I made a batch yesterday and I can't wait to try it.
Thanks for sharing.